All Academy SOFTBALL Members,
The 11 a.m. softball pitching clinic with Erin Jones-Wesley for ages 9 to 18, originally scheduled for this Saturday, April 30th has been CANCELLED.
Due to this cancellation, workout times have changed from what is listed on the April Softball Workout Schedule.
Below are the new softball workout times for this Saturday, April 30th:
- 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. – Ages 7 to 12 Softball Open Workout
- 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. – Ages 13 to 18 Softball Open Workout
We thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Editor’s Note: Started January 2016, Academy Member of the Month is awarded to Urban Youth Academy members for their commitment to success both on and off the field. Through the splendor of the National Pastime, Major League Baseball founded the Urban Youth Academy in 2006. Aimed at setting the standard for baseball and softball instruction, mentorship, vocational programs and education assistance in urban America, the Urban Youth Academy also set out to enhance the quality of life in the surrounding communities.
Hometown: LYNWOOD, CA
Urban Youth Academy Member Since: 2011
Favorite MLB Team: Los Angeles Dodgers
Favorite Food: Burgers
Favorite Sport: Baseball
Walk-up Song: “My House” by Flo-Rida
Future Career Goal: “My future career goal is to become a professional baseball player. I know if I continue to work hard that I can reach my goal.”
Favorite thing about the Compton Urban Youth Academy: “My favorite thing about the urban youth academy are the fields. They’re always perfect!”
Academy Members, Family and Friends,
T-Ball and Youth Baseball workouts for Sunday, April 24th, may be modified and relocated, but will take place and the scheduled times, due to the Scotts Pitch, Hit & Run competition we are hosting.
We appreciate your understanding, patience and cooperation.
Calling all Academy parents and friends!!!
As we move closer to the summer season, we would like to request your help! We are now accepting volunteer applications for multiple opportunities at the Academy!
Please submit a completed volunteer application along with a copy of your state issued ID/Driver’s License card to an Academy front office representative.
Volunteers are especially needed to assist with coaching within our Dodgers RBI program. Please be aware that you must be able to pass a mandatory background check. Submitting an application to coach/assist with programming does not mean you will automatically be selected.
Attention Baseball and Softball Players Ages 7 to 14:
The MLB Urban Youth Academy will be hosting a Scotts MLB Pitch, Hit and Run event on:
- Sunday, April 24th, 2016 on the Youth Baseball/Softball Field
- 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Participant Check-In on the Youth Baseball/Softball Field
- 10 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
We have extended the Pitch, Hit and Run Sign-ups until Saturday, April 23rd, 2016.
If interested in participating in Pitch, Hit and Run, you MUST email Bryana.firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- Participant’s name and age
- A completed 2016 Scotts Pitch Hit & Run Application AND a copy of the participant’s birth certificate must be turned in to our staff, prior to the start of the event
- Participation in the event will NOT be allowed if any of the above are missing
Click here for an application: 2016 Scotts Pitch Hit & Run Application
Scotts MLB Pitch, Hit and Run is a friendly skills competition. This competition gives both boys and girls, ages 7 to 14, a chance to showcase their pitching, hitting, and running abilities.
Email questions to Bryana.email@example.com
In order to participate in Dodgers RBI at the MLB Urban Youth Academy you MUST be an Academy Member.
Please go online to http://dodgersrbi-mlburban.leagueapps.com to register your son or daughter in our much anticipated Summer Program!
Dodgers RBI Junior/Senior Baseball and Senior Softball registration will open MAY 1st, 2016!!!
Ages 13 to 15 – Junior Baseball
Ages 16 to 18 – Senior Baseball
Ages 13 to 18 – Senior Softball
PARENTS PLEASE NOTE YOU MUST PAY IN THE OFFICE
Dodgers RBI fee: $25
Payments can be made as cash, check, or credit
The following divisions can pay on their designated days in person between 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. (NO EXCEPTIONS)
T-Ball – Tuesdays
Coach Pitch/Junior Softball – Wednesdays
Minor/Major – Thursdays
Saturdays will be broken into set times when each division can pay (NO EXCEPTIONS)
10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
12 p.m. to 2 p.m.
10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Ages 5 to 6 (T-Ball)
Ages 7 to 8 (Coach Pitch)
Ages 9 to 10 (Minor)
Ages 11 to 12 (Major)
Junior Softball (Ages 9 to 12)
Please email ComptonUYA@mlb.com with the subject line: “Dodgers RBI” if you have any questions
Attention Softball Members Ages 9 -18 years old
Erin Jones-Wesley will be hosting a pitching clinic this Saturday, April 23, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the softball field. If you wish to attend please RSVP to Softball Coordinator Marisa Trevino @ firstname.lastname@example.org. Lastly, we ask that each pitcher provide their own catcher if possible to make the clinic run smoothly.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY:
The Academy will hold Open Workouts on Saturday 04/16, ONLY for the following groups and times listed below:
- BASEBALL: T-Ball Open Workouts for Grades K, 1st & 2nd (Ages 5 to 8) on Youth Baseball Field
- 10 A.M. – 11:30 A.M.
- BASEBALL: High School Open Workout for Grades 9th, 10th, 11th & 12th (Ages 14 to 18) on Auxiliary Field
- 10 A.M. – 12 P.M.
- BASEBALL: Intermediate Baseball Open Workouts for Grades 6th, 7th & 8th (Ages 12 to 14) on Auxiliary Field
- 1 P.M. – 3 P.M.
Participate in a baseball workout and check out our UYA Jackie Robinson Day Play Ball Clinic!!!
CLICK HERE TO VIEW FLYER: 2016 UYA Jackie Robinson Day Play Ball Clinic
Major League Baseball Urban Youth Academy invites you to a FREE Play Ball clinic in celebration of Jackie Robinson Day!!!
At the Play Ball Clinic:
~ Learn/review basic fundamentals of baseball including hitting, fielding, and throwing
~ Receive instruction from MLB Urban Youth Academy coaches and athletes
~ Boys and girls ages 7 to 12 are welcome to attend
~ Stay and enjoy a viewing of the movie “42” following the Play Ball Clinic
- Saturday, April, 16, 2016
- 12:00pm – 1:00pm
- Play Ball Clinic:
- 1:30pm – 3:00pm
- MLB Urban Youth Academy
- On the campus of El Camino College-Compton Center
- 901 E. Artesia Blvd., Compton, CA. 90221
Register to participate in the Play Ball clinic to: Domingo.Najera@mlb.com
The Play Ball Clinic is limited to the first 100 participants, sign up NOW!!!
Academy Members, Families and Friends,
The MLB Urban Youth Academy sincerely appreciates the Rod Dedeaux Foundation’s generosity and commitment to youth baseball and softball in providing a scholarship opportunity exclusive to our Academy members planning to advance their education at a college or university.
If you or your child is graduating from high school in 2016 and interested in applying for the 2016 Rod Dedeaux Foundation Scholarship, please carefully read the information below together with the attached application.
- Application must be postmarked or delivered to MLB UYA by May 1st, 2016
Completed applications should be submitted attention to Rocky Gholson at the MLB Urban Youth Academy , 901 E Artesia Blvd., Compton, CA 90221 via drop off or snail mail. Incomplete, emailed, faxed applications will not be considered.
Thank you and best of luck!
– Academy Staff
2016 ROD DEDEAUX FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION:
In 2016, the Rod Dedeaux Foundation will award a $5,000.00 college scholarship to one (1) male baseball player and one (1) female softball player. This scholarship is renewable annually provided the winners maintain a 3.0 grade point average (GPA).
- Application must be postmarked or delivered to MLB UYA by May 1st, 2016
Click Here for Application: 2016 Rod Dedeaux Foundation Application
APPLICANT: Please be sure to fill out each section of the application and attach all requested materials.
- Listed current UYA City/School you are affiliated with
- Your Goals and Aspirations essay should be no longer than 500 words and must be enclosed with your application materials. (Include how you would benefit from the scholarship)
- Please submit your transcript with the application materials
- Parents’ or guardians’ Financial Data: By their signatures, they also agree to provide proof of income, including copies of income tax returns, if required. Alternatively, you may include a copy of your FAFSA and Student Aid Report (SAR). If no proof of income is provided, the Financial Data Section must be completed.
- Sign the Consent, Assignment and Release form (page 4). If you are under 18 years old, the form must have your parent/guardian signature as well.
- Application materials must be mailed in one packet
- Applicants should be available for an interview at the MLB Urban Youth Academy
- Incomplete, e-mailed, or faxed applications will not be considered
- We suggest that you keep copies of your application materials
- You will be informed on June 1, 2016 as to whether or not you have received a scholarship
- Scholarship Awardees will be invited to attend and receive their Award at the Rod Dedeaux Foundation Award Dinner on June 30, 2016 at 7:00pm at The Jonathan Club: 545 S. Figueroa Street, Los Angeles, California, 90071
About Rod Dedeaux:
Raoul “Rod” Dedeaux, legendary USC and USA Olympic baseball coach, Founder of Japan – USA Baseball series, Father of International Baseball and “Coach of the Century”; Rod loved the taste of victory on the baseball diamond and his tremendous collegiate accomplishments of 11 national titles and 28 conference titles prove just that.
Rod’s most enduring legacy was his ability to use the sport of baseball as a platform to provide a positive, lifelong impact in the lives of thousands of young adults; his heart (and now his foundation) was always focused on mentorship and guidance demonstrated through his tireless coaching to promote teamwork, sportsmanship, discipline, a sense of fair play and having a great time.
About the Rod Dedeaux Foundation:
The Rod Dedeaux Foundation was formed to continue Rod’s spirit by supporting youth baseball and softball programs in underserved areas. Currently, inner city organizations are fighting for survival as public funding is drying up, coupled with the game’s waning popularity with children in urban areas. Through the efforts of the Foundation, youth receive more than just uniforms and renovated facilities, they receive a sanctuary from challenging environments and a support system specifically designed to build character and academic support to enable underprivileged youth to achieve their dreams.
The Urban Youth Academy is inviting all Academy Softball members to attend the Long Beach State Softball game for FREE!!! This event will take place on Sunday, April 17th from 12:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. It will be at the Long Beach State softball field located at 1250 Bellflower Blvd, Long Beach, CA 90840.
All members will need their own transportation.
ONLY Academy softball members will get in free. Everyone else will have to pay.
Below are the ticket prices for the game.
- General admission: $9
- Youth (3-12) : $6
Please RSVP to Shayna.email@example.com by Thursday, April 14th.