Field and Turf Maintenance Clinic
On Friday, December 10th, the Urban Youth Academy hosted a free clinic in hopes of educating the people in attendance how to maintain their baseball diamonds in a professional manner. There were about 50 people in attendance, most of them were high school and college coaches, parents and even a couple of ball players.
The guest speakers were:
- Murray Cook – MLB’s Official Field and Venue Consultant
- Chad Olsen – Brickman Baseball Operations
- Cesar Carbajal – Head of Groundcrew for USC
- Rene Garcia – L.A. Dodgers Growndcrew Member
- Rob Yoakum – Turface Field Representative
- Jon Paul & Kevin Haines – Turf Star TORO
- Paul Wizikowski – Simplot Partners
The clinic was from 9:00am – 3:00pm and the schedule of the event was as followed:
- Careers in grounds keeping and operations
- Two 45 min rotations (1) – Infield Maintenance and Edging by Rene Garcia and Cesar Carbajal (2) – Mound and home plate maintenance dimensions by Chad Olsen and Murray Cook
- Three 30 min rotations (1)- Turf Management and Irrigation Maintenance by Paul Wizikowsi and Kevin Haines (2)- Type of Field Equipment and Maintenance by Jon Paul Brickman and Chad Olsen (3)- Material Demonstration by Rob Yoakum
Below are pictures of all of the action!! Enjoy and hope to see you at our next clinic!