On behalf of the entire Urban Youth Academy staff we would like to say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Hope everyone has a safe celebration and make sure to stay warm and dry.
Saturday, December 25th. We will re-open the Academy December
On Friday, December 10th, the Urban Youth Academy hosted a free clinic in hopes of educating the people in attendance how to maintain their baseball diamonds in a professional manner. There were about 50 people in attendance, most of them were high school and college coaches, parents and even a couple of ball players.
The guest speakers were:
- Murray Cook – MLB’s Official Field and Venue Consultant
- Chad Olsen – Brickman Baseball Operations
- Cesar Carbajal – Head of Groundcrew for USC
- Rene Garcia – L.A. Dodgers Growndcrew Member
- Rob Yoakum – Turface Field Representative
- Jon Paul & Kevin Haines – Turf Star TORO
- Paul Wizikowski – Simplot Partners
The clinic was from 9:00am – 3:00pm and the schedule of the event was as followed:
- Careers in grounds keeping and operations
- Two 45 min rotations (1) – Infield Maintenance and Edging by Rene Garcia and Cesar Carbajal (2) – Mound and home plate maintenance dimensions by Chad Olsen and Murray Cook
- Three 30 min rotations (1)- Turf Management and Irrigation Maintenance by Paul Wizikowsi and Kevin Haines (2)- Type of Field Equipment and Maintenance by Jon Paul Brickman and Chad Olsen (3)- Material Demonstration by Rob Yoakum
Below are pictures of all of the action!! Enjoy and hope to see you at our next clinic!
MLB URBAN YOUTH ACADEMY PRESENTS
FRIDAY, December 10thTH
WHAT: Athletic staff and personnel who are looking to learn more about baseball field and ballpark maintenance are invited to attend a free “Hands-on” MLB Field and Ballpark Maintenance Clinic, Friday December 10thth, at the MLB Urban Youth Academy in Compton, Ca..
WHEN: Friday, December 10th, 2010
Where: MLB Urban Youth Academy
Compton, Ca. 90221
Ike Hampton , MLB Academy Manager
Murray Cook, MLB’s Official Field & Venue Consultant
The Clinic will provide advice and techniques’ in: infield maintenance, mound maintenance, home plate and batter’s box maintenance, mowing, turf management, irrigation, field layout, safety and equipment and material demonstrations. Breakfast and lunch will be provided.
To register please email Ike Hampton firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis, until filled. For additional information about the Academy or any other upcoming clinics and seminars, please call or email Ike Hampton at the Compton Urban Youth Academy
The MLB Urban Youth Baseball Academy is part of Major League Baseball’s Urban Youth Initiative. The Academy operates on a year-round basis, offering free baseball and softball instruction, as well as clinics to youth throughout the Compton Area.